The Rutland County Solid Waste District (RCSWD) seeks several passionate and highly organized self-starters with exceptional planning, project management, and communications skills.
We support best management practices for solid waste management and resource recovery in communities; build capacity in the recycling and composting industries; advocate for better policies; and provide technical assistance to individuals, businesses, educational institutions, and 17 regional municipal town stakeholders.
Waste Reduction Program Manager
Full-time, permanent position →
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, natural resources, public administration, or a related field preferred; 4 years of equivalent work experience related to sustainability and/or recycling and solid waste programs may be substituted.
- Four years’ experience supervising staff.
- Experience in policy developing, coordinating and implementing programs required. Also, working knowledge of budget preparation as it relates to programs and their financial impacts.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities while coordinating workflow in a deadline-driven and solution-focused environment.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work well alone as a self-starter who takes initiative, and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainability and environmental issues. Preference for experience in waste reduction and recycling programs.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to lift and carry at least 40 pounds
- Ability to operate, or ability to learn to operate a, loader and excavator.
- Travel and overnight stays are required occasionally to work directly with community partners, attend trainings, and for conferences.
- Full working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, social media platforms, and Google Docs.
Annual salary: $48,000 - $55,000
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Assistant Transfer Station Attendant
General responsibilities: The Assistant Transfer Station Attendant Part-time (10-20 hrs./week) will assist with general operations of the Rutland County Solid Waste District transfer station. The work includes general quality control of materials dropped off construction and demolition, clean wood, and brush and leave piles to ensure that customers assisted in our program requirements. Individual shall help scale house attendant with directing traffic and assisting at the recycling area as needed.
Qualifications: The Assistant Transfer Station Attendant must be an energetic professional who does not mind wearing multiple hats. Experienced in handling a wide range of operational and administrative duties that support related tasks and able to work independently with little or no supervision. Must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. The position requires the ability to work well with the public, directs traffic, have a valid driver’s license with a clean record, be able to operate the truck scales, enter data into computer applications, operate an electronic cash register, make change, complete and maintain reports and records as necessary.
RCSWD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.